How to build RTEMS + Networking on Solaris

Andrew Bythell abythell at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Feb 7 17:29:40 UTC 2000

Anyone who has tried to build RTEMS on Solaris probably knows about the
'wildcard' problem. (see mailing list)  I made the wildcard change and
everything seemed O.K. until I tried to use libnetworking.  The library
was only 8 bytes (instead of 5Mb like on my linux box), and compiling
the netdemo application returned many unresolved symbols.

The problem lies with ./c/src/lib/libnetworking/wrapup/Makefile.in, line
12:

     OBJS=$(foreach piece, $(NET_PIECES), ../$(piece)/$(ARCH)/*.o)

It doesn't actually build a list of objects; The following replacement
will:

     OBJS=$(foreach piece, $(NET_PIECES), $(shell
../$(piece)/$(ARCH)/*.o))

To summarize the mailing list articles and the above information, here's
what needs to be done to build RTEMS on Solaris.

1. upgrade make, install, makeinfo and patch to GNU versions - the
solaris ones don't work
2. in the rtems source, search every Makefile.in and replace "wildcard"
with "shell ls -1"
3. make the above change to ./c/src/lib/libnetworking/wrapup/Makefile.in

If I was more apt with diff and patch, I'd make a patch file, but I'm
not - sorry.

Andrew Bythell  System Design For Test
Nortel Networks Microelectronics Group
Ottawa, Ontario Canada    esn.39.56930