Cygwin Commerial License?

Tue Jan 11 14:42:33 UTC 2000

Quality Quorum wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Smith, Gene wrote:

> > I assume it is acceptable to create a closed-source
> > commercial application using gnu tools, newlib and rtems in a linux
> > environment?
>
> As long as you do not use nay GPL'ed code.

The RTEMS Project tries VERY hard to ensure that any code that
(1) ships WITH RTEMS and (2) will execute on an embedded target
in an RTEMS system is licensed in a way that does not place
a burden on commercial applications.

The use of the GPL for the tools themselves to compile a
proprietary application is allowed.

If you link in other packages, you have to honor their licensing.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.  The above is the intent of the
RTEMS project and if anyone ever sees a case where a piece of
code does not meet these goals, please let us know so we can
address it.

We are very careful about honoring software licenses and hope that
everyone else is as well.  These licenses are there to protect the
authors/maintainers/submitters and their work.

Similarly, remember that open source projects in particular need to
be supported to flourish.  Ultimately, even though many projects do
survive on volunteer time, paying for support/training/custom
engineering
makes it possible for people to work full time on the project.  Be
an active supporter of open source projects.