Two questions about Ada programming on rtems

Thu Jul 20 13:15:19 UTC 2000

guobing wrote:

> Hi,all!Recently I'm using Ada to write a few program which run on rtems.I have two question as follows:
> 1)Can I use Ada task facility in rtems application?

Yes.  There are some warnings about target CPU, gnat's use of
gcc 2.8.1 with limited embedded ELF target support versus non-Ada
users going with gcc 2.95 or newer.

> 2)what's relationship between Ada task and rtems task?Is Ada task  mirrorred to rtems task?

Each Ada task is a POSIX thread just like under UNIX.

There are a few nice things you should be aware of.

  + Non-Ada tasks may call Ada subprograms that use the Ada tasking
    features.
  + Ada tasks should be able to use any OS services.
  + There are some bindings for the Classic API if you are interested
    and willing to doublecheck that they actually are current. :)
  + Florist needs to be ported but this should be minimal effort.