FreeBSD and RTEMS

Sat Jun 10 15:20:49 UTC 2000

James Housley wrote:

> For those interested.  I am partway through creating the port makefiles
> for RTEMS 4.5.0-beta3 on FreeBSD and posting the precompiled packages.
> This is on FreeBSD 4-STABLE, should run on 5-CURRENT, when I post the
> ports they should compile on 3.4-STABLE also.  I haven't tested these
> yet, most I don't have the hardware for, so all feed back is welcomed.
> You can check the progress and get the packages at
> http://www.thehousleys.net/rtems-4.5.0b3

This is fabulous news!!  It must have gone pretty smoothly since it
did not take you much time.

Not being familiar with FreeBSD packaging, I have a few questions:

+ Is there any revision number like on the RPMs to indicate which
  patches went with them?

+ Do your gcc .tgz's have all languages or just C/C++?  The other
  hosts are packaged to avoid making people download and install
  things you don't need.

+ How large did these end up being?  The other binaries are about
  165-200 Mbytes for all binaries in a single host format for all
  targets and languages.

+ Is gdb proving hard to build or have you just not gotten to it yet?