In-Memory File System with http

Mon Jun 26 14:41:59 UTC 2000

Andrew Bythell wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I am trying to run the http sample included as part of the netdemos, but
> I'm not clear on how a tar file is loaded into memory and
> un-compressed.
>
> When I try and build the sample, I get undefined references to the
> tarfile start and size.  Do I specify these values, or are they
> determined during linking?
>
> I tried changing the values from _binary_tarfile... to
> _binary_o_optimize_tarfile, which links, but when the app runs, I get
> "Untar failed to create file index.html".
>
> I know this is something simple, but I'm not sure how the In-memory
> filesystem works.  Can someone offer a quick crash-course?

My guess is that this is a side-effect of the lowering of configuration
defaults.  This test really needs a filesystem -- not just the minimal
one that supports only device nodes.

Try adding this:

#define CONFIGURE_USE_IMFS_AS_BASE_FILESYSTEM

You will probably need more than 3 file descriptors so probably
need to do something like this as well:

#define CONFIGURE_LIBIO_MAXIMUM_FILE_DESCRIPTORS 10

Send me a patch for the test after it runs for you.