Build problems with latest snapshot.

Sergei Organov osv at javad.ru
Fri Mar 17 18:02:21 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm trying to configure/build the latest RTEMS snapshot (20000118) for
PowerPC/papyrus target as a first step of my attempt to port 4.x RTEMS to the
MPC5xx processors. I use gcc-2.95.2 and newlib-1.8.2.

Well, after a few troubles were solved, I finally got it to
configure/compile/link. I still have some questions though:

1. Where reentrant syscalls should reside? In RTEMS code or in NEWLIB?
   They were defined in both places and I removed them from NEWLIB by
   adding -DREENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED to the 'newlib_cflags' in the RTEMS
   section of NEWLIB configuration file (newlib/configure.host). Is it the
   right thing to do?

2. My 'ppc-rtems-gcc' isn't able to link trivial application containing only
   main(){} if option -mno-eabi isn't given. This leads to two separate
   problems when configuring RTEMS. I didn't find a way to specify '-mno-eabi'
   as target compiler option for configuration process. The problem is that if
   I set "CFLAGS=-mno-eabi", then this is passed not only to the target
   compiler, but also to the native gcc that doesn't grok the unknown
   option. I solved the problem by slightly modifying two m4 files in the
   RTEMS "aclocal" directory to pass options specified by CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET to
   the target compiler. The modified files are "check-newlib.m4" and
   "prog-cc.m4". I then set CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET both when configure and make the
   RTEMS, and that works for me. Is there better way to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

BR, Sergei Organov.