Build problems with latest snapshot.

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Sat Mar 18 16:38:38 UTC 2000

Sergei Organov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to configure/build the latest RTEMS snapshot (20000118) for
> PowerPC/papyrus target as a first step of my attempt to port 4.x RTEMS to the
> MPC5xx processors. I use gcc-2.95.2 and newlib-1.8.2.
>
> Well, after a few troubles were solved, I finally got it to
> configure/compile/link. I still have some questions though:
>

> 2. My 'ppc-rtems-gcc' isn't able to link trivial application containing only
>    main(){} if option -mno-eabi isn't given. This leads to two separate
>    problems when configuring RTEMS. I didn't find a way to specify '-mno-eabi'
>    as target compiler option for configuration process.

At the moment, you have to specify target flags in your BSP's
make/custom/<bsp>.cfg.

> The problem is that if
>    I set "CFLAGS=-mno-eabi", then this is passed not only to the target
>    compiler, but also to the native gcc that doesn't grok the unknown
>    option.

Yep, this is a known problem with RTEMS current configuration scheme. Currently,
you can't specify CFLAGS from the environment.

> I solved the problem by slightly modifying two m4 files in the
>    RTEMS "aclocal" directory to pass options specified by CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET to
>    the target compiler. The modified files are "check-newlib.m4" and
>    "prog-cc.m4". I then set CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET both when configure and make the
>    RTEMS, and that works for me.

Well, I guess, I know what you are doing, but I hesitate to add such a change
right now, because this has side-effects on other issues with RTEMS's building
scheme (eg. CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET vs CFLAGS_FOR_BSP :).

> Is there better way to solve the problem?

The recommended way is to add a make/custom/<bsp>.cfg for your BSP and to add
appropriate flags there.

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)