[Help me] linkcmd and Makefile.in of gen68360/startup

Eric Norum eric at cls.usask.ca
Fri Mar 3 14:25:20 UTC 2000

> "Kim, Jeong-Hwan" wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone.
> I'm beginning with gen68360 bsp and linux environment, but my short
> knowledge on linux
> make it difficult for me to understand the code.
> So, I hope your help
>
> I found there are 3 cmd (GNU linker directive files), linkcmds,
> linkcmds.bootp and linkcmd.prom in gen68360/startup directory.
> What are the cmd files used for respectively?
> And how I can use the cmd files respectively for their own use.
>
> Is there any book or document you could recomment for me to explain
> the linkcmd file and Makefile.in???

Things are easier if you send only plain ASCII messages.

linkcmds -- all code, data/bss in RAM.
linkcmds.prom -- code in ROM, data/bss in RAM -- data segment is placed
in ROM after code section; the startup code is responsible for copying
the data to RAM.
linkcmds.bootp -- similar to linkcmds.prom, but the data/bss sections
are place high in RAM; intended for bootstrap ROMs which load
executables into low RAM.

Be default, the RTEMS Makefiles use linkcmds.  Have a look at how the
sample applications (hello, etc.) qre built.
For an example of the use of linkcmds.bootp, download
	ftp://skatter.usask.ca/pub/eric/RTEMS/BootProm.28Jan2000.tar.gz

Eric Norum                                 eric at cls.usask.ca
Canadian Light Source                      Phone: (306) 966-6308
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-6058
Saskatoon, Canada.