BDM LINUX-Patch for GDB with OCD-Wiggler

Erwin Rol Erwin.Rol at q-soft-engineering.com
Thu Mar 16 16:07:20 UTC 2000

Leon Pollak wrote:

> At 11:53 16/03/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >Info can be found on:
> >http://www.vas-gmbh.de/software/mpcbdm/
>
>          This is, as I was able to understand, some improvement to Sergey's
> version, which I never tested.

Yes but the patch has some changes , mostly for the timing. I used
this patch with sergey's hardware and that worked (with the short cable)

> >And even Sergey's "simple" version worked ok , but only with
> >a very short cable ( < 15 cm). The cable from the LPT port to
> >the PCB is about 30 cm and from the PCB to the 860 about 50 cm.
> >One can fine tune the time that is used to generate the pulses
> >from inside GDB , this depends very much on the host CPU speed
> >and the cable type/length.
>
>          Sergey's driver I tested for 4 days and wasn't able to run it
> stable on my PC.

Probably timing , i looked at the signals and without waits between
the pulses they don't even reach 2 V . With the delays they do reach
5 V and it works. With the smithtriggers the signal is a lot better,
but the delays are still needed, depending on host speed (got a PIII
500).

> >One disadvantage, it doesn't run on Windows. I could imagine someone
> >writting a remote GDB server for it on 95/98 but under NT /(2000?)
> >one needs a device driver to access the LTP port in "raw" mode.
>          I think that it was spoken about Linux only. For Windows we have
> good  enough support for Macraigor's wiggler in gdb.
>          BTW, as I understood the original request, it was also for  Macraigor.
>
> >         Now, if there are several approvals for the (
> > http://www.vas-gmbh.de/software/mpcbdm/ )'s driver Ishall be glad to
> > know, because as I was able to understand - these drivers are very
> > sensitive to CPU speed and cables length.
>
> Thanks to everybody.

NP (probably in name of everybody :-) ,

Erwin

--
        Q - S O F T - E N G I N E E R I N G
     Rodachtalweg 11, 81549 Muenchen, Germany

Erwin Rol (Software Engineer)     phone: +49-89-68050051
Erwin.Rol at Q-Soft-Engineering.com  fax  : +49-89-68050052