where was that web server?

Jake Janovetz janovetz at tempest.ece.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 17 17:07:22 UTC 2000

Efren,

Linux + Apache is a much larger solution.  The GoAhead server is
very small and functional for simple web work.  I'm not very
familiar with how Linux works in a small embedded application,
but I wasn't sure how well Linux would respond to interrupt and
priorities.  Specifically, if the OS is late in response to an
interrupt from the MP3 decoder, you'll hear it.  I only have 16 meg
RAM on this thing, no MMU, and no disk, and currently, 16 meg is
a LOT.

RTEMS is very small and remarkably reliable for me.  When I first
started using it (3 yrs ago), Linux was only just getting into
embedded applications.  I'm crazy about Linux and I use it all the
time, but the developer's network is just a little flaky to me.
I can't know when the head dude of the Linux embedded project is
going to take on some other project and leave.  RTEMS is well
supported, growing remarkably fast, and corporately sponsored.

I guess I should note that this is just a personal project I
work on in my free time.  I have no current plans to sell
anything.

   Cheers,
   Jake

--
   janovetz at uiuc.edu    | How can it be that mathematics, being after all a
 University of Illinois | product of human thought independent of experience,
                        | is so admirably adapted to the objects of reality?
        PP-ASEL         |                                  - Albert Einstein

Disclaimer: The policies of this University certainly do not reflect my
            own opinions, objectives, or agenda.