prebuilt tool binaries question

Daniel Talayco dtalayco at broadcom.com
Fri May 19 17:05:47 UTC 2000

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to figure out what host OSes it make
> sense to prebuilt tool binaries for.  The list
> of targets will be as complete as possible like
> with the RPMs (i386, i960, m68k, mips, powerpc,
> sh, and sparc).  I think this list covers most
> RTEMS users:
>
>   + Linux x86 - glibc 2 based distributions using RPM,
>     Debian, or tgz.  This should cover the major
>     distributions including RedHat, SuSE,
>     Caldera, and Debian.
>   + Cygwin - B20+ using RPM or tgz
>   + Solaris 2.x SPARC - using RPM or tgz
>   + FreeBSD x86 - don't know packaging yet.  Could
>     something be derived via RPM specs? Could x86 Linux
>     binaries be converted?
>
> Are there any other hosts in use out there?

FYI:  I've recently built the tools and rtems under
PPC Linux (Yellow Dog) without too many changes.  I'm
still evaluating my success.  I expect once compiled,
the packaging could be done easily with RPM (a statement
made in ignorance about such things.)

> I do know of a couple of odd issues that impact the
> usefulness of the configurations being built.  For
> example, the m68k gdb does not include Eric Norum's
> bdm kit.
>
> Building these tool binaries is a VERY time-consuming
> process and we really encourage users to move to
> them.

? Move to packaged binaries?

Thanks,
-Dan Talayco