interrupts...

Gregory.D.Menke.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov Gregory.D.Menke.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 6 18:53:02 UTC 2000

 > > OK, so now I can crash our box on demand by hooking an interrupt.
 > > Are there any reasonably available examples that illustrate RTEMS
 > > interrupts in general- or even better for the MCP750 in particular?
 >
 > There are a number of examples.  The clock driver is probably the
 > simplest although it is split between a generic part in libcpu
 > and a BSP specific part in libbsp/powerpc/shared/clock.  The mcp750 is
 > a particular variant of the powerpc/motorola_shared BSP.  The
 > console driver is another example see libbsp/powerpc/shared/console.

I'm still missing some basic premises, I'll try to be more specific;

1.  Are the high level C rtems_interrupt_* routines sufficient to set
    up an interrupt handler on one of the Raven timers?  If not, I
    assume a couple low level calls are needed to set up the hardware,
    then a couple high level ones to get the isr running.  Is this
    correct?

2.  What is the relationship between an interrupt level, vector and
    irq on this bsp- (or for RTEMS in general if relevant)?  On a
    related note, what degree of correspondence exists between the bsp
    vector and the RTEMS vector?  These issues are only tangentially
    introduced in the docs and none of the example code even begins to
    present the topic.  I'm missing some basic knowledge of RTEMS
    architecture, which makes wading thru source extremely
    inefficient.

3.  After I get our applications together, I would be extremely
    interested in doing a basic RTEMS Survival Guide targeted to those
    who find getting started with RTEMS hard going.  If people think
    its useful, can it be included in the RTEMS online docs?

Thanks for all your patience,

Gregm