tick timing

Wed Nov 8 14:25:13 UTC 2000

"Aaron J. Grier" wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 02:30:46PM -0700, "Michael P. Collins" on korat wrote:
>
> > I was initially looking for a simple way to implement a reliable delay
> > routine, and it looked like I could get away with an
> > rtems_task_wake_after() call, but I need better resolution than a
> > millisecond.
>
> I have a 68331-based system and ran into a similar situation.  I ended
> up using the GPT and bypassing RTEMS.

:(  See below.  Just a clock tick device driver construction issue.

> > Can I circumvent the macros in "confdefs.h" and directly assign a
> > value of 122 to BSP_Configuration.microseconds_per_tick?  If so, how
> > would I best go about doing this?
>
> bsp_start() maybe?

You don't have to circumvent the macros if this is simply an application
configuration.  Set the CONFIGURATION_MICROSECONDS_PER_TICK to whatever
you want.  The problem is the construction of the clock tick driver.
THe powerpc decrementer based clock tick driver does it better.  See
c/src/lib/libcpu/powerpc/mpc6xx/clock/c_clock.c and notice that it
takes a BSP supplied value for an arbitrary clock tick.   Basically
you just have to program the tick source based on the value configured.