M-Systems Flash Disk compliance.

Chris Caudle ccaudle at pdq.net
Thu Nov 16 04:04:55 UTC 2000

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > the BIOS extension.  RTEMS runs in protected mode, so to use the BIOS
> > extension, you would have to switch back to real mode, make the call, then
> > switch back to protected mode.  Could get ugly.
>
> Is there standard code to do this?  If so, then regardless of how ugly
> it is, we could use the BIOS as a starting point.

I don't know enough about the details.  Someone around here probably
does, but I guess you would have to figure out what registers have to be
saved (maybe all?), how to get data into the correct place in memory.  I
would think that you have to turn off interrupts to make sure you don't
jump to code which expects to be in protected mode while you are
running, so it would completely screw up your task priority settings.  I
think that if something like that were put in, it would definitely have
to go in the category of embedded but not real-time use.

> FWIW .. if they have one for posix threads or pSOS+, then it will
> probably just work.  A VxWorks-ish one would probably work given the
> compatability library announced on the list earlier.

They have binaries available for pSOS and VxWorks.  What are the chances
that the pSOS binary would link in correctly?
For the original poster, there is the source code option if the
application does not require source code distribution.  If M-Systems
would give out the development kit code, they would probably give out
the pSOS code for recompiling.
Then no one else would get to use it, though, and how much fun would
that be?

--
Chris Caudle