API's (was Re: How do you like RTEMS ?)

Wed Nov 29 14:08:07 UTC 2000

Chris Caudle wrote:

> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Seriously what we now call the Classic API is essentially pSOS+.
> > ...This all predates the POSIX threads standardization.
>
> Speaking of Classic API and POSIX, what is the currently recommended API
> for starting new projects?

OAR does not make recommendations in this regard.  A certain class
of users will migrate to each API.

And don't forget ITRON or the RTEK the automotive industry is
pushing.

> Is the POSIX API implemented fully enough to use that?

Yes.  There are still a couple of missing things (pipes
and asynchronous IO comes to mind) but everything a traditional
RTOS API provides that is defined in POSIX is there.

> Does POSIX seem to have enough momentum that it will come to be
> considered the "standard" API for embedded use?

>From my personal perspective, I think this is the case for no other
reason than you can test a lot more on UNIX boxes.