API's (was Re: How do you like RTEMS ?)

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Wed Nov 29 14:49:23 UTC 2000

Chris Caudle wrote:

> Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Seriously what we now call the Classic API is essentially pSOS+.
> > ...This all predates the POSIX threads standardization.
>
> Speaking of Classic API and POSIX, what is the currently recommended API
> for starting new projects?

It probably depends on where you're coming from.  If you're used to pSOS
you're certain to feel a lot more comfortable with the Classic API.  If
you're used to VxWorks you're likely to find the Classic API quite
familiar.  If you're used to POSIX you have my sympathy and you'll find
the environment provided by RTEMS very similar to what you're used to.

IMHO the POSIX API is a bloated confusing mess, but that's just MHO.  My
guess is that the Classic API imposes less overhead, but I've never
actually run any benchmarks so I can't back up that statement with hard
data.

I know that the folks porting EPICS to the POSIX API found lots of bugs
in the Solaris and Linux versions of the routines.

> Is the POSIX API implemented fully enough to use that?

It's pretty much all there.

> Does POSIX seem to have enough momentum that it will come to be
> considered the "standard" API for embedded use?

I'd hate to think so, but history has certainly shown that a product
doesn't have to be the best, or even very good, to become the most
popular  :-(

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.