[RTEMS]How about the Networking ability

Thu Nov 30 22:22:47 UTC 2000

Jaundiced reply. :)

Jeffrey wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I have got a lot of response about "How do you like RTEMS", thanks very
> much.
>
> I also need to ask another question about the Networking(TCP/IP) ability
> of RTEMS. How is the stability, performance and scale(supported
> protocols) of RTEMS. What's the limit of the TCP/IP protocol stack? Does
> it support multiple IP interfaces? Have RTEMS been used by a commercial
> router and/or other network products?

If you mean NICs, then yes.  Multiple people have used this
configuration
in products.  They just must be ducking. :)

> How many protocol stacks have been
> tried successfully above TCP/IP ?

I don't know the answer to this.  More helpful would be a specific list
of things you are intested in.  Do you mean PPP, SLIP, etc?

> Have any 100M ethernet run in full
> speed using RTEMS ?

Eric Valette has reported results of running 100baseT.  I recall it
was on the order of 85-90% of the theoretical limit of the media.
There was no tuning and this is with the TTCP benchmark.

People (including Eric Norum) have regularly reported 10baseT
TTCP results at the theoretical limit of the media on his modest
68360.