Configure/make bug?

Sergei Organov osv at javad.ru
Thu Oct 5 08:48:13 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm trying to configure/build RTEMS (latest snapshot) for powerpc-rtems
target on Linux host. When I configure/make for 'papyrus' BSP only, then
everything works fine. If I configure/make for 'mbx860_002' BSP only, then
configure runs fine, but make gives me the following:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/osv/build/ppc-rtems/rtems/ppc-rtems/c'
Configuring RTEMS_BSP=mbx860_002
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
checking for RTEMS Version... ss-20000919
checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-rtems
checking rtems target cpu... powerpc
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for RTEMS_BSP... mbx860_002
checking if cpu powerpc is supported... yes
checking for make/custom/mbx860_002.cfg... yes
checking whether BSP supports networking... disabled
checking for ppc-rtems-gcc... /usr/local/bin/ppc-rtems-gcc
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/local/bin/ppc-rtems-gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
make[2]: *** [mbx860_002] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/osv/build/ppc-rtems/rtems/ppc-rtems/c'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/osv/build/ppc-rtems/rtems/ppc-rtems/c'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Note, that error is because configure finds WRONG COMPILER. The right compiler
is under the '/home/osv/try' directory that is specified in --prefix option
for configure, and is correctly found (as well as the rest of tools) during
'configure' stage or when I build another (papyrus) BSP.

The same error occurs if I try to build 'mbx8xx' BSP.

How do I fix this?

I run configure/make in a separate build directory like this:

./config
./makeit

where config and makeit are the following scripts:

$ cat config
prefix=/home/osv/try
export PATH=$prefix/bin:$PATH
~/src/rtems-ss-20000919/configure \
  --target=ppc-rtems \
  --prefix=$prefix \
  --exec-prefix=ppc-rtems- \
  --enable-gcc28 \
  --disable-posix \
  --disable-networking \
  --disable-itron \
  --enable-libcdir=$prefix/ppc-rtems/lib \
  --enable-maintainer-mode \
  --enable-rtemsbsp=mbx860_002 \
  $*

$ cat makeit