Can i386-rtems-gcc support a RTOS like Vrtx/spm?

guobing at sohu.com guobing at sohu.com
Wed Oct 18 09:43:34 UTC 2000

>guobing at sohu.com wrote:
>
> Hi,anyone.As we know,rtems is running on FPM(flat protected mode).Recently I've a reseach project in which I want to use i386-rtems-gcc toolchain to support a RTOS like vrtx/spm.This RTOS is running on SPM(safety protected mode) and the target CPU is X86.How to begin my research project?Any advice can be approciated.

The i386-rtems-gcc target is more than just a compiler to generate i386
code.  It includes
information about the target OS for run-time information (thread-safe
C++ STL for example)
and the newlib C Library configuration is specially tailored for RTEMS.
So the target i386-rtems-gcc
is not what you want.

Follow that can I use an embedded i386 GNU tools configuration.  The
answer is "it depends".
What object format is the code using?  What C library are you going to
use?  Should the
generated code be flat-mode or some special 48 bit segment:offset
setup?
>Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research & >Development
>joel at OARcorp.com                 On-Line Applications Research
>Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS  Huntsville AL 35805
>Support Available                (256) 722-9985

Mr. Sherrill:
   Thank you!But I'm still not sure this question.Application often is linked together with RTOS executive.In FPM,there're only a code segment and a data segment in final object file in which includes application and RTOS executive.That is to say,application have same DPL(Intel CPU) and segment with RTOS executive.In this condition,there's little request to i386-rtems-gcc toolchain because FPM is a simple mode.But in SPM,maybe there're several segments in task of application while these segments is staticlly defined by i386-rtems-gcc toolchain,not RTOS executive dynamiclly.Thus,i386-rtems-gcc toolchain need to define segment of application'task in compiling and linking.In Vrtx/spm tool,there're a build tool to finish this job.Can cross gcc implement it?Please give me some advice.Thanks.

ËѺüÎÒÕÒÄ㣺http://icqdownload.sohu.com

ËѺü£ºhttp://www.sohu.com