Some BSP questions

Tue Sep 12 12:58:53 UTC 2000

"Michael P. Collins on korat" wrote:

>   I'm running into a few problems moving my BSP from 4.0.0 to 4.5.0.
> Perhaps someone can help.
>
>   First, some question regarding conventions.  In the "BSP and Device
> Driver Development Guide" dated May 2000, there is some discussion
> regarding the need to provide a "Makefile.in" in each BSP directory.
> Looking at all the m68k BSP directories which beta3a tree, however,
> I don't find any "Makefile.in" files at all, but do find "Makefile.am"
> files instead.  I can manually run automake to generate the former,
> and it appears this is what "bit_rtems" does as well.  Am I correct
> in assuming that the docuementation is just a bit out of date, and
> that future editions will reference "Makefile.am" in place of
> "Makefile.in"?

Yes.  The documentation in this area is out of date.  I doubt
it will get updated until this settles out.  You need to edit
Makefile.am's and use the "bootstrap" script at the top of the
source tree to regenerated files such as Makefile.in.  You
can run bootstrap in any directory that has a configure.in file
and it will regenerate from that point down.

>   Using the "Makefile.am" files from efi332 as a starting point, I
> created a set of these files for my BSP.  Running "bit_rtems", I'm
> getting the errors shown below, and haven't been able to determine
> the source of the error.  At the comparable point during the efi332
> build, note the difference in the path to the configure script.
> I've done a search for all files in the source tree which contain
> references to "efi332" and don't find anything which looks out of
> place, but can't get past this problem.  If someone can tell me
> where the path to the configure script which is not being found
> gets set, I can probably take it from there.  I presume it's in
> "libbsp", but don't see anything there which looks obvious.
>
> (One note; I read Ralf's "MERGE.PROCEDURE", but it again references
> "Makefile.in" files which no longer exist in that tree.  Or do I
> need to manually run autoconf followed by acpolish?)

No. If you write Makefile.am's and configure.in's, then you
can run bootstrap.

>   Any assistance will be most appreciated.
> checking target's strip... (cached) /usr/local/rtems/m68k-rtems/bin/strip
> checking for RTEMS_BSP... (cached) lz120
> checking if cpu m68k is supported... yes
> checking for make/custom/lz120.cfg... yes
> checking whether BSP supports multiprocessing... (cached) no
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating shmdr/Makefile
> configuring in m68k
> running /bin/sh ../../../../../../4.5.0-beta3a/c/src/lib/libbsp/../../../../conf
> igure  --target=m68k-rtems --prefix=/usr/local/rtems --disable-hwapi --disable-m
> ultiprocessing --enable-cxx --disable-rdbg --disable-tests --disable-networking
> --enable-posix --disable-itron --with-target-subdir=m68k-rtems --cache-file=../.
> ./.././config.cache --srcdir=../../../../../../../4.5.0-beta3a/c/src/lib/libbsp/
> m68k
> ../../../../../../4.5.0-beta3a/c/src/lib/libbsp/../../../../configure: ../../../
> ../../../4.5.0-beta3a/c/src/lib/libbsp/../../../../configure: No such file or di
> rectory

It looks like there was not a configure file.  It looks to me that you
need to make sure you have a configure.in and Makefile.am in your BSP
directory (m68k/lz120) and Makefile.am's in all subdirectories of the
BSP.  Then
run bootstrap from the top of the RTEMS source tree.  This requires
that automake and autoconf be installed on your machine.