Accessing hardware under RTEMS

Jake Janovetz janovetz at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 13 17:21:35 UTC 2000

I'm using RTEMS in a few embedded applications and I think I
prefer the non-device-driver method for LEDs, hardware registers,
etc.  Specifically, I have DSPs and FPGAs that need talkin' to,
and I don't use device drivers for them.  I use special procedures
that are called to download and/or communicate.

I tried putting together a device driver, but it didn't really
offer me any advantage.  I think the advantage would be in reuse
of a driver interface.  That is, everyone expects something like
/dev/console to be available -- it's a nice standard interface.
Who cares about my proprietary FPGA interface??

The memories, on the other hand, may be better handled with a
device driver.  I don't about this one, though.

    Jake

--
   janovetz at uiuc.edu    | How can it be that mathematics, being after all a
 University of Illinois | product of human thought independent of experience,
                        | is so admirably adapted to the objects of reality?
        PP-ASEL         |                                  - Albert Einstein

Disclaimer: The policies of this University certainly do not reflect my
            own opinions, objectives, or agenda.