Accessing hardware under RTEMS

Gerwin Pfab pb at schenk.isar.de
Thu Sep 14 07:45:04 UTC 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, OUTWATER wrote:

> Greetings all -
>
> I have an application in which I need to provide contol of miscellaneous
> peripheral devices such as:
>
> LEDs
> Memories (SRAM, FIFO)
> Hardware control registers
>
> It seems like the best/elegant/preferred way to do this is via RTEMS device
> drivers.
>
> Opinions?

I think that depends on your needs. Controlling some LEDS can be done by a
set of simple functions or even by some macros, so why bother about a
device driver?

If your SRAM, FIFO and hardware control registers have application
dependant meanings, writing a library that abstracts the functionality
from the implementation may be the best solution.

If your Hardware implements something that should have a interface like a
character or block device, then a device driver is needed.

> If a device driver is the way to go, is there a basic example of one somewhere
> that I could use as a starting point?
>
> Thanks!
> Keith

Regards

Gerwin

Gerwin Pfab <pb at schenk.isar.de>   Dr. Schenk Industriemesstechnik GmbH
Dipl. Ing.                        Einsteinstrasse 37
Software Engineering              D-82152 Martinsried
                                  Tel: +49-89-85695-0
                                  Fax: +49-89-85695-200