Processor Load

Gunter Magin magin at skil.camelot.de
Tue Sep 26 15:19:32 UTC 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 09:41:49AM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> The most accurate solution is to have a counter/time that is checked
> each time a task switch occurs.  Then the outgoing task is "charged"
> for the time spent executing.

Are there any hooks in the scheduler available where a BSP function can
be called to read a high resolution free running clock, as it is available
in some modern processors?

For instance, the 8xx family has the TMBH/TMBL combo or the decrementer
register (the last one is common to all members of the PPC architecture),
which can be configured to run with a very high resolution (up to
SYSCLOCK/4).

I already use that timer successfully to evaluate the behaviour of my
device drivers.

gm