How to Build Unix BSP

Wed Aug 8 12:39:36 UTC 2001

Kiran C wrote:

> Hi,
>     Thanks for ur reply
>     How useful is a simulated or Synthetic environment in developement.
>     Say you are implementing network protocols..then  such an environment is
> really usefull isn't it( excluding driver development)?

I have a long standing, not merged, patch from Ian Lance Taylor
(formerly
binutils maintainer) that lets the network stack work under Linux.
The problem is the underlying conflict between RTEMS calls, header
files, etc.
and the native ones.

>     The build debug cycle can be greatly be reduced.
> What do u think about it?

Personally, I would investigate either a CPU simulator or a virtual PC
environment like Plex86 or VMware.  I think the Cygnus/RedHat SID
simulation environment includes some simulated network devices.

IMO it is better to work on a simulated CPU since that is closer
to the real thing.