Network freeze out of clusters

Smith, Gene Gene.Smith at sea.siemens.com
Thu Aug 9 17:43:24 UTC 2001

I had *big* problems with this, during flood pings, or heavy network traffic
or lots of
connects/disconnect or cable on/off abuse. After I got my application fixed
(the same task that was trying to get clusters also needed to free them -
split into two tasks) I could still get the "waiting for mbuf cluster"
message but it would stop after about 4.5 minutes and things would start
working again. I got rid of this problem by changing rtems_glue.c,
m_clalloc() to wait a maximum of 1 second for clusters to free up instead of
forever. Had to also allow the ethernet driver to drop the packet if it
could not get a cluster in call to MGETCL (m->m_ext.ext_buf == NULL implies
no available cluster). It's still bad to wait a second in an isr, but its
better than a system lock-up!
-gene