Sound support

Jake Janovetz jake at janovetz.com
Sat Dec 1 00:02:48 UTC 2001

MP3 is a decoding standard and is not a proprietary anything.  However,
encoding entails some proprietary masks if done the Fraunhofer way.
Fortunately, there are better ways to encode that make use of open masks
(look at LAME which uses a GPL'd perceptual engine).

In any case, my RTEMS-based MP3 player didn't have any sound drivers.
The MP3 stream was sent directly to an off-chip MP3 decoder IC.  Sorry,
Joel, nothing very useful from my side.

   Cheers,
   Jake

> MP3 is a proprietary format, and as such, I think that licensing may
> have to be looked at. I know that you need a licence to encode but I
am
> not sure about decoding.
>
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> >Hi again,
> >
> >I know over the years that a few users have done VOIP
> >and MP3 playback with RTEMS.  That means there have to
> >be sound drivers out there.  Are in in any shape to
> >merge?
> >

> --
> Angelo Fraietta
>
> PO Box 859
> Hamilton NSW 2303
>
> Home Page
>

> http://www.users.bigpond.com/angelo_f/
>
> There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge - that is
> CURIOSITY
> There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others - that is
VANITY