email with virus

Mon Dec 3 14:37:51 UTC 2001

Hi,

Since someone has already asked offlist what this virus was,
I thought I would post this link to info at McAfee:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99069&

The attachment had this name:

name="YOU_are_FAT!.MP3.scr"

And it appears to be a trojan that one should be leary of.
>From the description:

> Once running, the trojan attempts to mail the victim's IP Address to
> the author. Once this information is obtained, the author can
> connect to the infected system via the Internet and steal personal
> information such as usernames, and passwords. In addition, the
> trojan also contains a keylogger program which is capable of
> capturing other vital information such as credit card and bank account
> numbers and passwords.

There are instructions on both automatically and manually detecting and
removing this one.

I hope this helps.