Redhat 7.0 xinet/tftpd/bootpd with RTEMS - works

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Fri Feb 2 14:56:58 UTC 2001

OUTWATER ~ KEITH J /5G3110 wrote:
.

> I don't really have a good feeling that my configuration is really optimal, but
> I was having problems with xinetd terminating the tftp service with a error
> message involving "looping" on the part of the tftp service and bad file
> descriptor messages crom xinetd.  Really strange.  I have a combination of
> settings that works now, and I'll try to clean things up incrementally.

*Now* I remember!
I was having this problem, too.
The -s option tells the TFTP daemon to chroot() to the specified
directory -- which is a good thing for security and also relieves the
TFTP client from having to know the full path from the root of the
server file system.
But chroot can be run only by root.
The fix is simple -- make /usr/sbin/in.tftpd setuid-root.

I had a look at the TFTP daemon source.  The daemon is designed to
operate setuid-root.  It relinquishes root privileges as soon as the
chroot has been done.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.