IP Multicast (just 'casting, not rcving)

Smith, Gene Gene.Smith at sea.siemens.com
Mon Feb 5 20:45:57 UTC 2001

A while back I asked if multicast was supported in rtems. I have since
realized that I only need to transmit multicast messages, not receive them.
Does anyone know if rtems might support just sending a multicast? When I
try to send a udp packet to a multcast address, eg, 224.0.1.100, my current
udp code fails in send() with "Network Unreachable" and nothing is
transmitted on the network per tcpdump. Perhaps I need to set a socket
option to tell it the multicast interface, although Steven seems to says you
don't need to set socket options or join a group to just send a multicast.
Any ideas while I continue reading rtems-bsd code and Stevens?

-Gene