(real time) corba impl. for rtems

peter.o.mueller at gmx.de peter.o.mueller at gmx.de
Tue Jul 17 18:55:42 UTC 2001

Hi all,

this may be of interest to all rtems users:
(from http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/users/stefan/rofes/about/)

 Many real-time applications run on embedded systems. However, CORBA is too
large to meet the exact size and performance requirements for such
applications. This scenario requires a cut-down version of CORBA, which has
been specified by the Object Management Group and is called minimumCORBA. We

have implemented a prototype of Real-Time CORBA, with the aim to minimize
the
memory footprint. In particular our version of Real-Time CORBA is suitable
for embedded systems. Therefore our project is called Real-Time CORBA for
embedded Systems (ROFES). We will adhere to the OMG standards Real-Time
CORBA
and minimumCORBA. Besides Ethernet, ROFES supports other network
architectures. By supporting these new network architectures we hope to
achieve better real-time characteristics. One of these network architectures

is the Scalable Coherent Interface (SCI).

 A real-time operating system provides ideal support for real-time
applications. However, the cost aspect and the acceptance of operating
systems like Windows NT, Sun Solaris and Linux have generated a need for
real-time functionality in these operating systems. For instance, Solaris is

compatible with the real-time extension POSIX 1003.1b, although it is not
possible to develop a hard real-time application in such an environment.
Many
companies and universities are developing real-time extensions for Windows
NT
and Linux. A very interesting real-time extension for Linux is Real-Time
Linux. In Real-Time Linux, a small hard-realtime kernel and standard Linux
share one or more processors in order to develop a system that can be used
for applications like data acquisition, control and robotics while still
serving as a standard Linux workstation. We plan to implement a version of
Real-Time CORBA for embedded systems on Linux, Windows CE/NT, Real-Time
Linux, LynxOS and the QNX Realtime Platform.

Code compiles also  on rtems!
http://www.lfbs.rwth-aachen.de/users/stefan/rofes/source/

For m68k a server and client is around 500k including rtems!

Peter

P.S: I sent this mail some days ago to the list, but I don't saw it there. I
assume a
problem on my mailer program. If you got this mail the second time just
delete it ;-)

http://www.gmx.net

GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a