i386 Serial Driver Problem

Mike Siers mikes at poliac.com
Thu Jul 19 17:50:19 UTC 2001

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the hint.  I solved this problem by making
two sets of changes.

  1) The i386 driver callbacks were set up to call
     the lastClose callback function.  This function
     removed the IRQ handler for the serial port.  I just
     set the callback function to NULL.

  2) The pppd code had a resource leak.  It was opening up
     a socket handle that was not getting closed and was
     causing some problems.  I have this fixed in my updated
     version of pppd.  I have successfully open/closed a ppp
     connection over a null modem serial cable 600 times
     without a problem.

Thanks
Mike Siers