Building RTEMS using non-standard compiler names

steved94 steved94 at home.com
Mon Jun 4 01:25:17 UTC 2001

While I haven't specifically tried targeting a PowerPC I did try build Ada
targeting the x86 several months ago.  I was working on RH Linux 6.2.

As I recall I found a symbolic described in the scripts for compiling Ada
files, and re-defined the value to something like GCC=gnatgcc.  There were a
couple of small problems in the scripts elsewhere when I went to build.  I
never succeeded.  My problem is that RTEMS has moved on to using the elf
format while current public releases of GNAT are still based on GCC 2.8.1
which doesn't support elf for the x86 target.

It appears that GCC 3.0 will be out soon, and soon thereafter GNAT will be
integrated with the 3.1 release.  This new version should resolve my problem
for targeting x86.

I hope this helps,
SteveD