Non-Blocking Serial I/O without Select

Mike Siers mikes at poliac.com
Fri May 25 15:42:22 UTC 2001

Hi,
My application requires the use of non-blocking I/O on
a serial port.  The networking documentation states that
 a) the select() operation is very slow
 b) it only works on socket file descriptors

I basically would like the ability to have some wakeup
call back functions that are similar to what is provided
for sockets.  RTEMS added the SO_SNDWAKEUP and SO_RCVWAKEUP
options to the setsockopt() function.  This allows an
application to register some wakeup call back functions
with the socket file descriptor.

I would like to add the ability to register some wakeup
call back functions using the ioctl() function call on a
serial port file descriptor.  This would require changes
to the standard RTEMS termios source code.

Has any one implemented something similar to this?  What
are the recommended ways of using non-blocking I/O on
a serial port?  I would prefer if the solution was not
dependent on a specific BSP implementation.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Siers