ino_t type definition

Victor V. Vengerov vvv at oktet.ru
Sun Nov 11 18:22:29 UTC 2001

Hi,

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> > => Cygwin uses unsigned long.
> >
> > But this code also means that you can't rely on any implicit assumptions
> > on ino_t's size if your code is supposed to be portable.
>
> That statement applies to all types defined by C Standard Libraries and POSIX.
> You can't depend on anything size-wise.

IMHO, that statement applies to application code: application code should not
depend on such limits. Eugene means that file system implementation inside
RTEMS may require more than 16 bit i-node. File system is not an
application-level
code. I think, file system code (which is part of specific POSIX system
implementation)
may use some assumptions about ino_t width.

Are you agree with us that ino_t should be made wider?

Regards,
Victor

--
Victor V. Vengerov