use pppd

Mike Siers mikes at poliac.com
Tue Nov 13 19:29:15 UTC 2001

Hi Stan,
The best place to look is at the example code in the pppd directory under
the latest snapshot.  The first step is always to ensure your BSP supports
task driven serial I/O and that it is enabled for the port you want to make
a ppp connection with.

The only difference between using a serial port vs. a modem is that you need
to set up the chat program/function dialing scripts.  These scripts send
different
strings to the modem.  Once the ISP on the other side is ready, the ppp
connection will be established.

In the next version of pppd, I have added the ability for you to specify
which
C function will perform the modem dialing.  The default chat function is
not very smart and must be adjusted for each ISP.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good Luck
Mike Siers