Installing multiple toolset versions

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Oct 31 06:41:40 UTC 2001

Am Die, 2001-10-30 um 15.50 schrieb Thomas Doerfler:
> Hi,
>
> currently I need to work with two distinct toolset versions
> (gcc/binutil/newlib), since I am sharing my time between two
> projects based on different RTEMS versions (One is the
> PPC403/405 software splitup :-> )
>
> Up to now I have downloaded the "ready to run" RPMs for the
> toolsets but in my current situation I ran into problems,
> because at least the GCC package (powerpc-rtems-gcc-
> gcc2.95.3newlib1.9.0-1.i386.rpm) only works when installed in
> the default location (/opt/rtems/...), so there can only be
> one compiler package installed for a certain target
> architecture. Currently I use a different machine to install
> and run the second toolset, but this is not very nice...
>
> Some years ago, when RPMs where not available, the tools per
> default were installed in a dedicated directory with a unique
> name like /usr/local/rtems/<gcc-version>-<binutil-version>-
> <newlib-version>. Wouldn't it be a good idea to fall back to
> such a naming scheme for future toolset RPMs?
IMHO, no.

> Then it would be
> possible to have multiple versions of a toolset installed on
> the same machine and multi-project maintenance would be much
> easier...
The easiest solution is to build different sets of rpms for each
toolchain.

Without using rpms you'd just have to build the toolchains twice, using
different prefixes and PATHs.

When using rpms, you could once use the standard rtems toolchain
(prefix=/opt/rtems) and would have to rebuild to the the second
toolchain with different prefix (say, prefix=/opt/rtems-snapshots) but
would also have to modify the packages' names inside of the rpm.specs .

Ralf