Installing multiple toolset versions

Joel Sherrill joel at OARcorp.com
Tue Oct 30 15:11:41 UTC 2001

Thomas Doerfler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently I need to work with two distinct toolset versions
> (gcc/binutil/newlib), since I am sharing my time between two
> projects based on different RTEMS versions (One is the
> PPC403/405 software splitup :-> )
>
> Up to now I have downloaded the "ready to run" RPMs for the
> toolsets but in my current situation I ran into problems,
> because at least the GCC package (powerpc-rtems-gcc-
> gcc2.95.3newlib1.9.0-1.i386.rpm) only works when installed in
> the default location (/opt/rtems/...), so there can only be
> one compiler package installed for a certain target
> architecture. Currently I use a different machine to install
> and run the second toolset, but this is not very nice...

I use three methods in house to manage this.

  1.  Another machine for the 4.5 branch testing.
  2.  Load the tools on a server and mount them for occasional use.  Be
careful,
       the server ends up knowing about the RPMS.  I use this trick for
using a
       3rd machine temporarily without loading the tools there.  I mount
either
       the /opt/rtems from the trunk or 4.5 machine.
  3.  Remove one version of RPMs and install the other.