How to use Makefile.am?

Joel Sherrill joel at OARcorp.com
Tue Oct 30 15:07:05 UTC 2001

Thomas Doerfler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe this is a stupid question, but I have made
> some modifications to the RTEMS source tree
>
> (added a new PPC405 bsp :-))
>
> and I had to change some entries in various
> "Makefile.am" files.
>
> What do I have to do to get these changes to
> influence the build process? Is it sufficent to
> perform a standard build for a certain
> architecture and BSP (I almost sure it isn't)? Or
> do I have to run automake with certain options?

The bootstrap script in the top of the source tree is
what you are looking for.  You can run it from any directory
with a configure.ac in it and it will produce all automake
and autoconf generated files.

Be warned RTEMS is now using the latest version of
both automake and autoconf so you will likely have to
update to the RPMs provided in the snapshots area.
They install into /opt/rtems and thus leave the OS delivered
versions intact.  This avoids creating conflicts with
other packages that you might work on that require
older versions.