How to use Makefile.am?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Oct 31 06:42:09 UTC 2001

Am Die, 2001-10-30 um 16.07 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > maybe this is a stupid question, but I have made
> > some modifications to the RTEMS source tree
> >
> > (added a new PPC405 bsp :-))
> >
> > and I had to change some entries in various
> > "Makefile.am" files.
> >
> > What do I have to do to get these changes to
> > influence the build process? Is it sufficent to
> > perform a standard build for a certain
> > architecture and BSP (I almost sure it isn't)?
Since the latest snapshot you need to add your BSP to
libbsp/<cpu>/acinclude.m4
and to run <path>/bootstrap inside of libbsp/<cpu>.

> >  Or
> > do I have to run automake with certain options?
No.

> The bootstrap script in the top of the source tree is
> what you are looking for.  You can run it from any directory
> with a configure.ac in it and it will produce all automake
> and autoconf generated files.
>
> Be warned RTEMS is now using the latest version of
> both automake and autoconf so you will likely have to
> update to the RPMs provided in the snapshots area.

Also note that the latest autoconf and automake prefer using
"configure.ac" instead of "configure.in" (Nevertheless continuing to use
the name "configure.in" should not cause problems)

Ralf