1JDMEVA

Mon Sep 17 16:09:27 UTC 2001

rwas wrote:

> I think it'd be nice. I've checked with a number of x86 pc104 vendors
> most had never even heard of rtems. I found very little interest in
> rtems upon describing it to them.

Our experience is that board vendors need to hear about this from
users.  There are a handful of board vendors with RTEMS support
for some of their boards.  RadStone includes RTEMS in its literature
and Ramix has RTEMS BSPs for some of their boards.  I do not know
about their literature though.

> I feel the entire RTEMs comunity can do a great deal towards educating
> and developing interest in rtems by board vendors and manufacturers.

And this is the correct solution. Pester them.  Then you are not
totally on the hook for the BSP.

I know that a few people have asked us about Synergy.  Bug them.
Get them to do it.

> >From my experience I know that the Air Force Research Lab spends a
> great
> deal of money on VME hardware as well as VxWorks licenses. It'd be nice
> to have that money spill over into the RTEMS community.
>
> The main issue in adopting rtems for any system development project
> is run-up time to actually use a product or piece of software in a
> system. Most would rather dump $20k for VxWorks and hit the ground
> running than pick up a free RTOS and spend have the life project life
> cycle comming up to speed before actually doing any work.

Agreed.  We see this all the time.  Many RTEMS users make high volume
products because they see the payoff in royalties.

> As far as doing *my* part, I've adopted RTEMS for use in my current
> AFRL project/contract (the GLINT project) and have sold the idea of
> RTEMS to a senior engineer in our company for potential use in new
> VME based projects.

YEAH!!!  YEAH!!!  Is there anything I/OAR can do to assist?  Encourage?

> Another particular angle that might help inject RTEMS in the AFRL
> world is compatibility with Mercury systems OS. In the tracking world
> we make use of serious parallel processing power. Mercury Systems and
> VxWorks have compatible libraries to interoperate over the RaceWay bus
> system.

Not having seen this API, I can't say precisely the effort required
but I can speak from experience on other APIs that it is probably
less than a handful of development seats and run-times.

Has the API ever been proposed as an open standard?  Or is it based upon
one?

OAR loves to do this type of work. :)

> Penatraing the Mecury/VxWorks marriage would be rather adventageous for
> the acceptence of RTEMS in this particular realm of the rtos world.

:)