network boot

lange92 at 2067.resnet.uni.edu lange92 at 2067.resnet.uni.edu
Fri Sep 28 00:24:19 UTC 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Vivek Vaid wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> > Vivek Vaid wrote:

> > > However, using netboot might take you one step behind the standard of
> > > using DCHP. since i found, netboot required a simple bootp server. (which
> > > does not come with Redhat linux 6.2 or above, so you will have to get it
> > > from older version, or rpmfind.net).
> > > Hence on server side you only need to enable bootp-server & tftp.
> > > (whos config file bootptab is much simple that DHCP.conf)
> >
> > I don't understand. Are you saying that you are one step behind because
> > RedHat is leaving out bootp in late model releases?

I've always had qualms with RH trying to be the M$ of the linux world...
Shipping kernel binaries, broken compilers, and non-approved code...

> Yes. (on most websites I read, its better use DHCPD ,since it has dhcp
> plus bootp, rather than only bootpd)
>
> > Or is there a problem on the RTEMS side?
> No.

I tried dhcpd-2.2.x, and I found that there is actually a bug in it--if
you're doing bootp, and if you use static IPs, the dhcpd actually will not
produce a valid response, and the netboot will fail. Only solution I see
is for someone somewhere to rebuild netboot for dhcp or for static
configuring. So unless there's a newer version (and debian unstable hasn't
heard about it yet) bootp support in dhcpd is buggy at best.

I'm just hoping the change is a trivial one... Weekend project perhaps.

DanL