Netdemo examples.

Bill Butler billb at tnex.com
Mon Apr 22 15:28:02 UTC 2002

Mike,

 I think I can help with this :)..

If you look back at the mail archive under April 2001 you'll find
someone that talks about this.. I have included one of the emails.

In Short:

By default RTEMS i386 stuff uses the DEC network driver. Not the most
common card in my opinion. Most cards are ne2000 clones. You might look
up your network card network chip and search on the web. See if you can
find this to be the case for your card. If you find out you don't have a
ne2000 card there are about 3 other drivers in Rtems that you can use.
The pcx86 BSP includes 3 network cards by default: Ne2000, Dec21140, and
wd8300. You must specify which one to use.

For a ne2000 card you need to go into:

/opt/rtems/pc386/include/bsp.h
or

<RTEMS SRC>/c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/include/bsp.h then > make all
install

and add

#define BSP_NE2000_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME      "ne1"
#define BSP_NE2000_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH    rtems_ne_driver_attach

and comment out the dec driver

// define RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME
BSP_DEC21140_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME
// #define RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH
BSP_DEC21140_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH

Next you need to increase the numbers file handles to something like 30
or 40. You can do this in the init.c file in the netdemo directory. It
has to be done early in the file or it won't work.( I believe Joel told
us before "confdefs.h".

So add:

#define CONFIGURE_LIBIO_MAXIMUM_FILE_DESCRIPTORS (30)

That should get you as far as I am.

Good luck

Bill Butler
AIPCom Inc