MPC8260ADS and Linux

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Apr 25 21:32:12 UTC 2002

Am Don, 2002-04-25 um 23.12 schrieb Steven Grunza:
> I now have a borrowed Motorola MPC8260ADS that I need to get running really
> quickly to do some performance testing and "proof of concept" testing.
>
> RTEMS looks like the ideal "OS" for this task but I haven't been able to
> get the tools, utilities and snapshot from 20020301 to work under NetBSD
>
> I'm willing to try switching a PC from NetBSD to RedHat in order to try and
> get a usable environment.
What? There should not be any reason to switch from NetBSD to RH!

NetBSD should be fine if you have the required tools installed (gmake,
bash, perl, autoconf, automake, texinfo, rtems-cross-toolchain.).

> I have RedHat 7.1 disks and could probably get
> 7.2 if it would work better but here's the question:
>
> What version of Red Hat should I use for RTEMS development on a PC?
This should not really matter, 7.1 and 7.2 should both be fine. If you
don't have a functional installation, I'd use the newest, if you have a
functional installation, stay with it.

> Should  I use a different flavor of Linux?
If you want to, nothing prevents you from doing it. Joel/OAR is using
RH, I am using SuSE, other use Debian, actually, any distribution should
do.

>  My experience with the cygwin tools has
> been that they sometimes work, sometimes don't so I would rather not try
> using cygwin under Windows if I can avoid it.
I would not want to use Cygwin for RTEMS ;)

Ralf