multiprocessor architecture...2

Wed Dec 11 16:58:47 UTC 2002

Francesco Poletti wrote:

> Sorry Joel, I was looking for some architecture suggestion: my simulator
> is under development and I don't know which is best way to implement the
> mechanism by which a processore may be able to interrupt another. I
> don't know which are architectural possibility...If anyone may suggest
> me where I can find documentation.

Three possibilities I know of.. others probably exist:

 + poll
 + board feature for in inter-board interrupt.  I know the Motorola
   VME m68k boards tended to have this feature as did other vendors.
 + CPU feature.  The hppa had an interprocessor bus for SMP boards.
   Based upon the "node number" in the system (hardcoded), each
   CPU had some MP communications registers at a certain address.
   These included this type of interrupt.  This is the only CPU RTEMS
   has been ported to that I know has this type of feature.

Your simulator has to simulate a CPU and its external peripherals to
provide a complete -- if simple -- system.

Is that more what you were looking for?