questions about writing network drivers

M.C.Shao ShaoMingchao97 at mails.tsinghua.edu.cn
Thu Dec 26 13:57:38 UTC 2002

hi,all
merry christmas& happy new year.
I am trying to write a network driver for my rtl8139 chip.For I didn't find an available network dirver for it under rtems.And I am refferring to dec21140's and sonic's drivers. when I read sonic's code, it seems that it use "sonic_write_register_t and sonic_read_register_t" strutcture to write/read sonice chip's register. But I didn't find where the code is implemented to acctually do the "write/read"?
Only those two structures are defined, but no real implementation code.
The second question, where is the "xxx_softc" stucture initiated? I am puzzled about this.
And the last question, what's the difference between memory access and I/O access to the chip registers? I am wondering which method to use now.
Any suggestions are appriciated. Thank you very much.
--
Shao Mingchao
Engineering Physics Department