how can I debug on remote target(pc386) via serial port

zhe zhang zhang_zhe_163 at 163.com
Tue Dec 17 14:13:46 UTC 2002

>>On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, 张哲 wrote:
>>
>>> host : intel-linux
>>> target : pc386
>>>
>>> On host , I use i386-rtems-gdb and use gdb-stub on target .
>>> When I ran i386-rtems-gdb on my host , and "file hello.exe , set
>>> remotebaud 38400 , target remote /dev/ttyS0 " , everything is ok .
>>> And I can "list" , "info all-register" , "break Init" . But I can
>>> not "run" .The Message is " don't know how to run , refer to help
>>> target" . What's the matter ? I think the target and symbol talbe
>>> on host are all work well , aren't they ?
>>
>>RTEMS gdb stub is iniialiased by the init task, so when you got
>>a connection to gdb stub RTEMS is running already, so you have
>>to do "continue".

thanks a lot , I did as you say and everything is ok . thanks.

>>> And I can not perform "load".
>>
>>This matter is unrelated to RTEMS, in order to do "load" you have to
>>have a system with a bootstrap (PROM/BIOS/Floppy) with GDB stub on it.
>>There is a thing called RedBoot, I never tried it but it may be what you
>>are looking for.
>>
>>IMHO, network boot is a far superior option vs serial download: it is
>>faster and bootstrap software is readily available (just look up
>>"etherboot" on the net).

Thank you . I will try .

>>> By the way , if I want to load an application via gdb and serial port
>>> connection , can gdb-stub do well ? If it can not , will rdbg or
>>> something else do ?
>>
>>You have to get a bootstrap program which satisfies your needs, so
>>rdbg will be of no help, because it is also a part of RTEMS.
>>
>>BTW, what is wrong with network boot ?

I want to build a remote debug environment with linux host and pc386 target ( maybe other BSP later ) . And I did not try netboot . At present , I use GRUB to boot my target PC .And I want to build the environment first to learn the system faster . So I choose gdb-stub and serial port connection now .As you suggested , network boot and application load may be a better way ,but I found only ne2000 network adaptor is supported , so I will try it later .

thank u , Aleksey ,your suggestion gave me a lot