new snapshot and gdb RPMs

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Mon Jan 21 10:39:36 UTC 2002

Am Son, 2002-01-20 um 20.10 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
> Peter Mueller wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:13:17 -0600
> > Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There is a new RTEMS snapshot in the usual place:
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/snapshots/current
> > >
> > > It is a significant step forward in the move to
> > > a multilib'ed RTEMS and a separate BSP Kit.  ...
> >
> > Hi Joel,
> >
> > I'm not an expert how Rtems was built in the past. But I like to understand more what has changed now. Can you explain it a bit more in detail. Is it that you can build the rtems core seperately from the hardware related code (bsp) ?
>
> At the current time, the only way to really build RTEMS is still to
> build for a specific CPU/BSP pair.  (--target=CPU-rtems
> --enable-rtemsbsp=BSP).
>

> > What does this mean for the user or for an BSP 'owner'?
>
> Not much at the moment since all of the infastructure is not
> there.  What you will notice if you look closely behind the curtain
> is that BSP specific options are moving in the source tree so they
> are specified closer to the BSP source. :)

Let me add, that two major incompatibilities to all previous versions of
RTEMS have been introduced, which almost certainly will affect:all
existing BSPs, even if not using multilibs:

1) make-target-options and targopts.h are dead and must not be used
anymore.

=> If your <bsp>.cfg applies make-target-options, replace it with
autoconf-rules (RTEMS_BSPOPTS_SET and RTEMS_BSPOPTS_HELP) in your BSP's
libbsp/<cpu>/<bsp>/configure.ac.

=> If your BSP's file directly include targopts.h, replace <targopts.h>
with <bsp.h>.

2) RTEMS's libraries have been re-grouped:

* librtemsall.a has been abandoned. Instead, two new libraries:
librtemscpu.a (built once per cpu) and
librtemsbsp.a (built once per bsp)
have been introduced.

=> Applications now require to be linked against librtemsbsp and
librtemscpu instead of librtemsall.a.
=> In bsp_specs, you need to replace -lrtemsall with -lrtemsbsp
-lrtemscpu

* librtems.a, libposix.a and libitron.a are not exported from the source
tree anymore and have been packed into librtemscpu.a.
=> Don't use them in user code, instead, link against librtemscpu.

Ralf