new snapshot and gdb RPMs

Sun Jan 20 19:10:29 UTC 2002

Peter Mueller wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:13:17 -0600
> Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > There is a new RTEMS snapshot in the usual place:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/snapshots/current
> >
> > It is a significant step forward in the move to
> > a multilib'ed RTEMS and a separate BSP Kit.  ...
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> I'm not an expert how Rtems was built in the past. But I like to understand more what has changed now. Can you explain it a bit more in detail. Is it that you can build the rtems core seperately from the hardware related code (bsp) ?

At the current time, the only way to really build RTEMS is still to
build for a specific CPU/BSP pair.  (--target=CPU-rtems
--enable-rtemsbsp=BSP).

But we are heading to an organization where you can treat RTEMS proper
and all of the source execpt libbsp, libcpu, libchip, and librdbg
like libc.a.  The directories listed above will be what is called
the "BSP Kit" and eventually will be what you build to target your
board.

When this happens we should be able to provide RTEMS RPMs just like
the C library.  You would build the Kit to provide the adapter layer
for your BSP.

This has some significant advantages including less code that the
user has to deal with and the ability to build add-on libraries
like tcl, zlib, microwindows etc and provide them in a non-BSP
specific manner.

> What does this mean for the user or for an BSP 'owner'?

Not much at the moment since all of the infastructure is not
there.  What you will notice if you look closely behind the curtain
is that BSP specific options are moving in the source tree so they
are specified closer to the BSP source. :)

Overall, it is just "The Right Thing To Do (tm)". :)