Revisied adding a bsp was: Re: adding a bsp

Paul Evans paule at martex.gen.oh.us
Mon Jul 1 23:04:24 UTC 2002

Hi,

Ugh. Sorry for the half baked reply everyone (baked Alaska in a
microwave?). Apparently  Outlook's "Send later" didn't.

As I recall, my steps were (more verbosely I hope):

1. Copy an exists BSP subdirectory to your BSP's name (I used gen68302)
 e.g. cd rtems-4.5.0/c/src/lib/libbsp/m68k; cp -R ./gen68302 ./mynewbsp

2.  Copy the cfg file in the rtems-4.5.0/make/custom directory
e.g. cd rtems-4.5.0/make/custom ; cp gen68302.cfg mynewbsp.cfg

3.Edit cfg file appropriately, specifically for me this included:
   * change RTEMS_BSP_FAMILY to mynewbsp
   * check -soft-float in CPU_FLAGS
   * modify make-exe to append initialized data to image (as per BSP docs)
and add objcopy
    command to create a final s-record file.

4. Run ../../../../../../bootstrap -c in new BSP directory (get rid of old
BSP's automake output)

5. The great grep: Replace all occurrences of original BSP name with new
name. This was a
help to me but YYMV..

6. Add/remove BSP leaf directories depending on drivers. (modify Makefile.am
in BSP root
to reflect this)

7. Machete out (gusto required) code not pertinent to your BSP . (like
libchip includes or
use of termios if you don't want it)

8. Decide whether pulling in shared BSP parts is applicable  and do so.
(Also do the same with libchip.)

9. Re-run bootstrap

10. Run configure/make etc. (make sure target more or less compiles)

11. Now, (obviously) customize as required (and rerun boostrap if make data
is modified)

12. Rinse and repeat. (FYI: Don't leave computer on during rinse, I learned
the hard way)

Hope this helps,

    -Paul