Building RTEMS problem

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Mon Jun 3 09:35:05 UTC 2002

Am Don, 2002-05-30 um 19.19 schrieb Davide Del Vento:

> Of course my path is set correctly ;-((

Apparently not (cf. below).

> (I do -in bash- export PATH=/opt/rtems/bin/:$PATH)
>
> But it doesn't work. And some strange things occur!
Yes, you are using the wrong compiler.

> For testing purposes I play with the path and some links.
>
> I do (in /opt/rtems/bin) "ln -s i386-rtems-gcc gcc"
Don't! This is plain wrong.

gcc is supposed to be the native CC, while i386-rtems-gcc is supposed
the target's cross-compiler.

> and I try to configure and make WITHOUT setting the path (I was wondering
> where is the point where it hangs). This way it compile!!!
Well, .. no.

What might happen, is the native compiler not choking during compilation
of target code, because you probably are using an i386-based native tool
chain, but that's all.

> It use my
> /opt/rtems/bin//gcc link, but the /opt/rtems is NOT in the the path!!!
???

PATH=/opt/rtems/bin:$PATH

Neither /opt/rtems nor any other directory from below /opt/rtems are
supposed to be in $PATH.

> It hangs on c/src/lib/libc/libio.c as you can see from the attached log
> (short because second stage log and with many "nothing to do").
> My make is GNU and it is 3.79.1, makeinfo 4.0
> Soon I will be fool, with this stuff...
> Byz,
> ;Davide
>
> > > Oh, sorry!
> > > Of course I'm using the binutils stuff (cross-compiler and so on),
> >following
> > > the documentation of the page:
> > >
> >http://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/releases/4.5.0/rtemsdoc-4.5.0/share/rtemsdoc/html/started/index.html
> >
> >They may be installed but are they in your PATH?  For some reason, cpu.c
> >is being
> >compiled by /usr/bin/gcc not i386-rtems-gcc.  configure is not seeing it
> >for
> >whatever reason.

I'd guess, having started to configure without /opt/rtems/bin in $PATH
and then later having put /opt/rtems/bin in $PATH is the cause.

(config.cache etc. containing the old (bogus) compiler)

> >http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
Are you using Cygwin? Then, there are other possible causes for your
problems.

> Making all in libc
> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/home/marco/rtems/Davide/built-rtems/c/i386ex/lib/libc'
> /opt/rtems/bin//gcc --pipe -B../../../../i386ex/lib/ -specs bsp_specs
This is the native CC, not the target's CC => Something is broken w/
your installation or you "playing with paths" is interferring".

Try to start from scratch:

Start a new shell, then
export PATH=/opt/rtems/bin:$PATH
mkdir build
cd build
<pathtortems>/configure --target=i386-rtems [further options]

Ralf